Blepharitis And Certain Home Remedies To Prevent Dandruff On Eyelashes And Eyebrows
Blepharitis is a disease of the eyelid in which there is inflammation of the eyelid. Nowadays many of the people are worried about dandruff on eyelashes and eyebrows both the conditions are dealt with under the treatment for blepharitis. There are a number of conditions that lead to this disease. In ayurveda it is correlated to krimigranthi. People took some allopathic medications, mostly topical ones. As we know our eyes are a very precious gift given by god because if a person is blind we may say that he will not have the experience of life, the beauty of nature. We have to save eyes from harmful irritant medications. Prefer the ayurvedic herbs having soothing effects on the eyes. Keep your eyes bright and let them see the beauty of the world.
Blepharitis is the most common eye disease. It is the sub-acute or chronic inflammation of the eyelid. It is having distinguished features like scaling, redness and inflammation. Some patients may also experience foreign body sensation and graining. In spite of the fact that it is not sight threatening, it may lead to permanent remodeling of eyelids. It has a number of causes but the leading cause is congested meibomian gland. This study illustrates the detailed description about the disease and its ayurvedic management.
Symptoms of Blepharitis
Symptoms may vary from person to person as due to the underlying cause. Here are all symptoms mentioned in all the varying conditions:
- Swollen or inflamed eyes
- Red eyes
- Watery eyes
- Nagging and itching eyelids
- Gluing of eyelids
- Flaking of underlying skin
- Crusted eyelids
- Foreign body sensation
- Increased reactivity to light
- Blurred vision
Causes Of Blepharitis
Exact cause of blepharitis is not understandable but we are mentioning some of the known conditions that may lead to this disease. A person might be present with one or more of these causes:
- Malfunctioning of meibomiam gland
- Dandruff of scalp and eyebrows
- Any type of external irritants like smoke, dust, cosmetics, allopathic topical medications
- Allergic reactions
- Excessive intake of carbohydrates
- Parasitic infections - infection from pediculis pubis (black nits)
Ayurvedic View Of Blepharitis
In ayurveda it is known with the name of krimigranthi. It is the disease condition of netra sandhi. According to acharya charaka (su. u. 2/9) different types of parasites, like nits, maggots by depriving pakshama (eyelashes) and vartama (eyelid) joints produce itching and small cysts on the eyelid margin with the spread of infection. According to acharya vaghbhata (A.h. u. 10/9) there is itching, burning sensation, purulent secretion from the cyst in inner and outer canthus of eyes, this is known as krimigranthi. Commonly people may experience a dandruff problem with eyebrows and eyelashes. Ayurveda is having certain medications to solve this issue.
There are certain eye conditions that are responsible for dandruff on eyelids and eyelashes. In majority of the cases the person who is suffering from this condition is normally having scalp dandruff and they are worried about it as it looks bad when the flakes fall on their shoulders and clothes. It is a frustrating issue. Don't worry we will discuss some home remedies that will make you free from this disgraceful condition.
- Almond Oil: Due to its moisturizing property it can remove the flakes from skin, sooth the area around the eyes. It nourishes the hair follicles and also prevents hair fall. How to use: take a tablespoon of almond oil and heat it. Apply it on your eyelids and eyelashes.
- Olive Oil: Again having the soothing moisturizing property nourishes the skin and soothes eyes. Steps to use: take a tablespoon of olive oil, apply over the affected area, take a soothing cloth, dip it in warm water and place it over your eyes for 5-10 minutes.
- Salt: It's quite shocking to know that using salt is beneficial around the eyes but it is quite beneficial to use it. It improves the clogged pores and absorbs the excessive oil which causes the buildup of dandruff as clogged pores produce dryness so by absorbing oil it opens the clogged pores and provides proper nourishment to the eyes. Directions to use: add 1 tablespoon of salt in 1/4th cup of water. Close your eyes and apply it gently, massage and rinse it with cold water.
- Warm Compress: with the dandruff people may also complain of redness, swelling, itching. This problem has a simple solution, warm compression. What you need to do: soak the cloth in warm water and put it over your eyes for 15 minutes. Clothes become cool after sometime soak it again when needed.
- Aloe Vera Gel: It helps in expelling bacteria and any other infectious agent from the skin and soothes the redness and itching. It stimulates hair growth and prevents hair fall. Directions to use: take aloe Vera gel, put it over a cotton ball, apply it over your eyes and leave it for 5 minutes, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Lemon Juice: It contains citric acid that is a very good antimicrobial agent. It helps in getting rid of various infectious causes. Applying method: take a tablespoon of lemon juice, put it in 1/4th cup of water, apply it over your closed eyes for 5 minutes then rinse it with cold water. Follow this home remedy twice a day.
- Neem Leaves: It has antimicrobial properties that treat a number of skin conditions. It flakes off the dead skin cells and prevent relapse of dandruff. Method of application: take 10-12 leaves of Neem and take 1 tablespoon of water mix both well and make a paste with the help of pestle and mortar. Apply it over your eyes, leave it for 15 minutes and rinse it with Lukewarm water.
Treatment as per Ayurveda
Let us take a view on ayurvedic treatment of blepharitis. According to ayurveda it is cured by surgical procedure.
- Sudation Therapy - Reducing sweat
- Bhedana Karma - Incision
- Pratisaarana - Local application of triphala, honey and salt.
All these three steps are performed for surgical procedure.
Other consideration for the treatment purpose is ahaara (diet) and vihaara (lifestyle changes)
- Ahaara (diet) - Ghee, honey, milk, rock salt, wheat, carrots, green vegetables, tiphala, etc.
- Vihaara(lifestyle changes) - Maintain personal hygiene, massage soles of feet with olive oil or any other moisturizing oil, wake up early in the morning and walk regularly on grass. It will improve eye health.
This study gives the introductory knowledge of blepharitis, eye disease. Dandruff is a very common condition among the whole generation. We discuss in this article about the causes of dandruff and the special home remedies to prevent dandruff on eyelashes and eyebrows. Ayurveda mentions these diseases as krimigranthi and also gives its surgical treatment in samhitaas. Have some tips from home remedies and get over this frustrating condition of dandruff.